The Thomas B. Fordham Foundation ("Fordham") is accepting applications from qualified nonprofits to operate Charter Schools in Ohio in the 2014-15 school year. Educators, community and civic nonprofit boards, parents, and teachers have the opportunity to create schools that will provide high quality educational outcomes and respond to the needs of the community. Charter schools are public schools operated independently and are required to serve all eligible children, with the education of at-risk students being the overriding purpose.
We are seeking charter applications that provide communities and families more high-quality public school options. Fordham will offer access to information via the online application process.
Finally, to ensure that all applicants are provided with an equal opportunity to present a case for their application, Fordham has established firm deadlines for submission and will not accept materials that are submitted after deadlines have passed.
Fordham's application process for community school sponsorship has two phases:
Pre-Application Phase (all interested must complete)
Full Application Phase (applicants will be notified if they are invited to complete the full application – being invited to apply does not guarantee acceptance)
All interested applicants must complete the Pre-Application Phase beginning Tuesday January 1, 2013. The deadline to submit the pre-application documents is Monday April 1, 2013. This consists of the on-line completion of both the Pre-Application Cover Sheet and the Executive Summary. Once reviewed, Fordham will notify applicants within 30 days or not later than Tuesday April 30, 2013 as to whether they are eligible to complete the Full Application Phase. Monday June 3, 2013 is the deadline for Phase II (Full Application – on-line) for those who were approved to move to Phase II. Full application will be reviewed by Friday August 30, 2013. Further deadlines around interviews and contract development will be given at that time.
2014-15 Application Timeline
- January 2013 Release Community School Request for Phase 1 Pre-Application (Cover Sheet & Executive Summary)Link to be provided through ReviewRoom – submitted on-line Phase I submissions to be reviewed monthly on a rolling basis.
- Will accept Phase I Pre-Applications until April 1st.
- Applicants will be notified as they apply if they are eligible to complete Phase II (Full Application).
- April 1, 2013 Deadline for Phase 1 Pre-Application.
- April 30, 2013 On or before this date, applicants will be notified if they are eligible to complete Phase II (on-line).
- June 3, 2013 Deadline for Phase II (Full Application – on-line) for those who were approved to move to Phase II.
- June – August 2013 Application Evaluation - Includes Due Diligence Review, Site Visits (if applicable), & Applicant Interviews.
- December 30, 2013 No later than this date – applicants will be notified of decision.
Thank you for your interest.